Saturday, February 25, 2006

Narnia to Eternity

After wearing myself out last night at the monthly "hack your toes and legs off fest" (sock hockey) I retreated home and finished off the "Last Battle". It was slightly sad to complete the first return-read through the Chronicles of Narnia in over 16 years.

Though I have some questions on some of the Theological implications of the book, I found one point particularly well made by C.S. Lewis. Eternity will be always getting bigger and better. We cannot imagine how good it will be. Scripture is so clear on this, but how often we forget and "loose sight of the eternal for the things that are passing" (Rich Mullins). The apostle Paul made it so clear when he wrote that: "No eye has seen, nor ear heard the wonders God has prepared for those who love Him". Again we are reminded when Hebrews speaks so clearly that even Abraham and Jacob, (who made the point so clear with Pharoah) knew they were pilgrims in this world and sought the greater one to come.

The points I just made to my sister in e-mail will here be repeated:

I found the thought refreshing that the world to come will not have time, no aging, we will be made whole, (physicaly, spiritualy and emotionaly). There will be no need to try to get so much done in a fleeting youth, for eternity will be ours! And fulfilment beyond our wildest imagination! If I could just keep this in mind when I am tempted by the tempest of life to use bad language, or get angry or despair that my hopes and dreams for this life are not realized...I would be far more useful for the master. This is just passing!!

The "Last Battle" in some glimpsing, limited way, made clearer the joys that await us, that complete "unspeakable" joy that we cannot even fathom now. To be reunited with all that is good and has been lost, to live every day to the fullest and not wear out.

Looking forward to eternity...longing to be useful in the here and now,

Adam

3 Comments:

Blogger Adam said...

Thanks sniper monkey. I wouldn't have as much fun without my toes either though so I am glad we play with dull sticks.

Moi: You are welcome. Books, (and houses: I hope your family and Donnie agree) are best enjoyed when shared.

12:30 PM  
Blogger emilie said...

1. What Rich Mullins song is that from?

2. Who is Donnie? Adam, did you have a pet rat all along in that house and no one told me??!!

3:03 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

Em: Sorry for the confusion, just 3 days after your beloved family moved out, a new guy at church, (who happens to be a musician in the Navy) moved in. He seems pretty cool, but I really have not seen to much of him.

The Rich Mullins song? Hmmmm...I will get back to you on that...perhaps "One thing?".

1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home